The Giving Spirits Foundation is a public foundation that was created at the same time as MyCity4Her, Inc in 2007 with the specific intention to make a formal commitment to give back to the communities in which we engage in commerce, do business and prosper. The goal of this public 501(c) 3 is to “shed light and pay it forward”.
Since it’s creation, MyCity4Her has pledged to give back 10% of gross sales back to the community by serving worthy causes that help women, children and families as well as the greater community as a whole, lead healthier, better lives. To date we have donated in cash or in kind over $175, 000.00 back to the local Baltimore and greater Maryland community and are slowly making similar impact in other areas around the country.
Causes we support are vetted through our in house evaluation process and must go before committee for consideration.
The major causes the foundation supports includes:
- Women’s economic development initiatives
- Business literacy and education for minorities, women and veterans
- Women’s health with an emphasis on heart disease awareness and prevention
- Programs that aid Survivors of domestic violence and their children
- Violence prevention and advocacy programs and education to support communities at a grass roots level
- Access to financial empowerment and education for disadvantaged women
- Art and art development programs for children and young adults living in urban communities
- Farm to table initiatives that support farming as a viable cottage industry
- Entrepreneurship and economic development in urban areas
- Democratic access to capital for women in business
- Increased presence of women on corporate boards
- Diversity in all aspects of business and community
- Veteran focused start-up and growth programs related to entrepreneurship
- STEAM and STEM education for girls in middle school
Some of the major financial support we have extended has been given to:
- The Red Cross of the Chesapeake Region
- The Heart Association – Circle of Red
- The House of Ruth
- Marian House
- The Anthony McCarthy Diversity & Inclusion Awards
- Code in Schools
- Samartian House
- Women Entrepreneurs of Baltimore
- Meals on Wheels
- Chase Braxton Services
- Juvenile Diabetes
- The Kidney Foundation
- Suited to Succeed
- Susan G. Komen
- The Red Devils
- The Hampden Family Association
- The Caroline Center
- Art with a Heart
We also fund our own initiatives including:
The Evergreen Fund
The Food Bomb Project
SuitHER & SuitHIM
To date financial donations of all combined efforts of the foundation represent over $100,000 donated to charitable and worthy not for profits initiatives aligned with our mission.
Because our means are not large, we remain very true to our vision and only support causes/organizations that meet our criteria for consideration as well as can demonstrate proven impact in the given areas of issues we are interested in becoming actively involved in.
Requests for financial support are reviewed on an annual basis and in consideration for the following year’s giving budget.
At present we are reviewing funding requests for 2014.
Requests that do not meet our area of interest, criteria or budget allowances will not be considered.
To make a formal request for financial support please click here.
To view the types of causes we support click here.