Black Eyed Susan Day is coming – May 19th, 2017
One of Pimlico’s oldest stakes races, the Black-Eyed Susan was first run at Pimlico in 1919 as the Pimlico Oaks. The name was changed in 1952 to complement the Preakness and to acknowledge the Maryland state flower. The mile and one-eighth test, for three-year-old fillies is traditionally run the Friday before the Preakness. The race was first graded in 1973 and has been a Grade II event since 1976.
The Black-Eyed Susan has long been recognized as the middle jewel of the traditional filly Triple Crown, which also includes the Kentucky Oaks Stakes (at Churchill Downs) and the Acorn Stakes (at Belmont Park). Only three fillies: Wistful (1949), Real Delight (1952), and Davona Dale (1979), all owned and bred by the illustrious Calumet Farm, have ever accomplished this feat.
Since 1919, people have made this race, always running the day before Preakness, a celebration. Over the years it has evolved to become “The Ultimate Girl’s Day Out”. It’s a wonderful occasion to throw on a hat, put on a summer outfit and enjoy things like the Girl’s Galleria (which hosts some of the region’s finest vendors with an emphasis on luxury and style), participate in the “Best Dressed” competition overseen by Baltimore’s most fashionable Lana Rae and have the chance to be immortalized by Jess Caris of Caris Photography. Women will be chosen Turfside Terrace, Concourse Apron, the Clubhouse and the Grandstand. 10 lucky women will be finalists and judging will be at 3:15 in the Concourse Apron. Prizes will be awarded and it promises to be quite the day.
For more information or to reserve your ticket,please visit Preakness.com.