How To Become a Certified (Women Owned) Minority Business in the State of Maryland
Minority Certification is important if you want to compete for lucrative Maryland state contracts.
The State of Maryland is one of the country’s leaders in terms of goals when it comes to minority-owned business participation in State contracts. However, the process to become women or minority certified by the State of Maryland can be overwhelming.
State of Maryland Minority Certification Process
According to MDOT’s web site:
MDOT’s Office of Minority Business Enterprise (OMBE) is the official
certification agency for the State of Maryland.
Types of Certification
- Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) – State-funded contracts
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) – U.S. Department of Transportation-fundedcontracts
- Airport Concessions Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (ACDBE) – Airport concessions contracts
Steps to Certification
- MBE Maryland Application – Applicant submits completed application and all required supporting documentation.
- Investigation – An investigator reviews documentation submitted by applicant, conducts an on-site/job site visit and prepares an investigative report.
- Determination – MBE Advisory Committee (MBEAC) reviews the investigative report to evaluate whether the firm meets the MBE/DBE/ACDBE program requirements.
- Certification – MBEAC Chair issues a certification letter and the firm is listed in MDOT’s online Directory.
Here’s How To Apply
- Carefully review the certification process and eligibility standards outlined in the Program Overview
- Complete the Minority Business Enterprise Disclosure Affidavit
- Review the MDOT PNW (Personal Net Worth) details
- Complete the appropriate documents required from the Document Checklist for a Corporation and for an LLC
- Remember not to leave any blanks. If you choose to answer ‘NA’on any of the documents be sure to provide a brief explanation as to why that information is not applicable. Then, sign and notarize the Disclosure Affidavit and State of Disadvantage for each minority owner, compile all of the forms into a folder or binder with tabs correlating to the Document Checklist and…
Send the completed application to:
Maryland Department of Transportation
Office of Minority Business Enterprise
7201 Corporate Center Drive
Hanover, MD 21076
Making sure to keep a copy for yourself, and your records electronically and in paper.