Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure This Sunday!

The Maryland Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is proud to announce its 19th Annual Race for the Cure.  As Komen Maryland’s largest fundraiser, 75 percent of the net funds raised will go to local programs that offer a comprehensive range of breast health service, from screening and treatment to support services, across the state of Maryland.  The remaining 25 percent  is distributed at a national level to fund lifesaving research, often taking place at Maryland institutions.

The Race is comprised of a 5k (3.1 miles) competitive run (timed), a 5k recreational run, a 5k walk and a 1-mile family fun walk.  The 1-mile family fun walk is recommended for families with children and participants who prefer a shorter route.

This year’s Race will feature honorary chairs, including Governor Martin O’Malley, Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz and Baltimore City Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake.

For more information, please visit or call 410-433-RACE (7223).

When:     Sunday, October 23, 2011

  • 6:00 am: Survivor, Pledge & Registration Tents Open
  • 6:45 am: Parade of Pink (Survivor Recognition Walk)
  • 7:00 am: Survivor Photo
  • 7:15 am: Warm-up by Lynne Brick of Brick Bodies
  • 8:00 am: 5k Run (Timed and Untimed)
  • 8:30 am: 5k Walk/1 Mile Family Fun Walk
  • 10:00 am: Awards Ceremony

Where:   Executive Plaza parking lots (across Shawan Road from Hunt Valley Towne Centre)

11350 McCormick Road

Hunt Valley, MD 21031

Free parking is available with shuttle service to the event

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Maryland Affiliate

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Maryland Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Maryland Race for the Cure, the Maryland Affiliate has invested $35 million in community breast cancer programs since 1993. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in Maryland. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research, often taking place at Maryland institutions. Komen Maryland is the tenth of approximately 120 affiliates in the Komen network to host two Races—Hunt Valley and Ocean City. For more information, call 410-938-8990 or visit