Girls Scouts of Central MD 2013 Distinguished Women Honorees
Award and recognition programs are definitely popular in the Baltimore region. It seems like almost every month another non-profit or media company is recognizing someone for something. Award events are popular for a variety of reasons, they create a great opportunity to gather and create buzz for a cause or mission, allow for networking and provide great visibility for the winners.
The Girl Scouts of Central Maryland’s (GSCM) Distinguished Women’s Award program has been helping girls see the possibility of their future as they shadow women executives and observe how they handle the responsibilities associated with corporate life. Annually, GSCM honors five local business women, who epitomize the values of Girl Scouting, for their exemplary professional and civic accomplishments. The event is held at the Baltimore Country Club in Roland Park and takes place on April 25th from 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm.
The highly coveted award does require honorees to raise a set number of funds for the organisation and is considered one fo the Baltimore region’s most prestigious women in business and women in philanthropy honors.Every year the event features a popular networking reception, silent auction and great opportunity to catch up with some of Baltimore’s most accomplished women in business. To read our recap of last years and see why you should attend this year’s click here.
2012 Winners included:
- Harriett Dopkin, President of The Classic Catering People, who was shadowed by Mercedez Evans
- Marianne Fischler, President of Foundry Wealth Advisors, LLC, who was shadowed by Sarah Niezzelski
- Jeannette Glose Partlow, President of Maryland Chemical Company, who was shadowed by Allison Seitz
- Ava Lias-Booker, Esq. Baltimore Office Managing Partner, McGuire Woods LLP, who was shadowed by Chloe Burgess
- Bonnie Phipps, President and CEO Saint Agnes Health Care, who was shadowed by Samantha Stokes
- The Honorable Stephanie Rawlings Blake, Mayor of Baltimore City who was shadowed by Brianna Simkins
In 2103 year GSCM will recognize these five Distinguished Women:
- Dr. Winifred Booker, Principal Owner, Valley Dental Pediatrics
- Maria Harris Tildon, Senior Vice President for Public Policy and Community Affairs, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield\
- Patricia McHugh Lambert, Esq., Principal, Pessin Katz Law, P.A.
- Karen Pecora-Barbour, President & Founder, The Barbour Group, LLC
- Cecile Perich, Senior Vice President-Human Relations, McCormick Properties
Each of these outstanding women professionals will be paired with a high school aged Girl Scout to whom they will serve as mentor for the day. The Distinguished Women’s Award program acknowledges the accomplishments of successful woman professionals while encouraging and inspiring the next generation of women leaders. “In 2012 Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. launched TO-GET-HER THERE,” notes GSCM CEO, Traci Barnett. “The goal of the program is to enlist the support of all adults, especially elected officials, corporate CEOs, business owners and professional men and women, to help ensure that girls have the opportunity to lead in all the ways they choose,” Barnett explains. “Our Distinguished Women’s Award program fits the bill by allowing girls to experience the world of women executives, gain greater insight and better understand the skills needed to succeed.”
The Distinguished Women’s Award reception is a unique networking fundraiser that includes a live and silent auction. For tickets, contact Berit Killingstad, email@example.com; for information about sponsoring the event, contact Pattie Dash, Vice President, External Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Girl Scouts of Central Maryland and the programs and activities it provides for nearly 27,000 girls ages 5-17 in central Maryland, visit gscm.org.